[OM] Re: Gayton Northamptonshire #3 and steam engines...OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Gayton Northamptonshire #3 and steam engines...OT
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:08:36 +0200

I was there '53- '60; by the time I left the locomotives were pure electric
as far as I recall. The Golden Arrow travelled to Paris; the coaches went
on the ferry between Dover and Calais in one direction, and between Calais
and Folkestone in the other I believe. Folkestone harbour was very
interesting, as the viaduct down to the ferry was both steep (1:45?) and
weak. The express locomotive had to wait at the town station, whilst three
or four lightweight tank engines (R1 0-6-0 built around 1865?) fetched the
train from the harbour, with two or three pushing and one pulling.

There was a Brighton Pullman train, but that was electric multiple-unit....

Regards/Mvh.,
Roger Key

jez wrote:

When I was at school at Dulwich College in London I used to watch the
same thing!  Wasn't the Golden Arrow just going to Brighton?
(Was there '64 - '70)
br
jez

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:33:18 +0200, "Roger D. Key" wrote:

> When I was at school at Dulwich College in London I used to watch a
> double-headed wagon-lits Night Ferry from Paris to London pass by the
> school grounds every morning, and later each day the Golden Arrow
Pullman