[OM] Re: It's as clear as black and white

Subject: [OM] Re: It's as clear as black and white
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:12:34 -0700 (PDT)
Walt,

You and your puny 6x9.  Real photographers shoot large-format.

> I just finished loading a half dozen 6x9 sheet film holders
> with Efke PL 100.  For those (most) of you who don't know,
> this is an old-fashioned B&W film with a very high silver
> content.

Sounds interesting.  I'm shooting HP5+ souped in diluted DD-X
these days for the 4x5.  Would be interested in learning more
about this film.  Especially in spectral response.  (if only
Delta 400 was available in 4x5)

> But I noticed that the instructions on the back of the film
> box say this: "The emulsioned [sic.] side of the film is
> facing you when the cutting is in the right or in the left
> lower corner."  What's Croation for "upper right"?  Good thing
> I still remember which way is which with sheet film.

Hmm. Unless they reinvented the standards, I'm pretty good at
guessing which way the notches are on 4x5.

> And shooting MF B&W more and more these days is keeping me
> further and further from digital.  Digital don't do B&W worth
> a s**t.

Someday it will, but for now...  I am testing one hybrid
method--shooting 4x5 B&W, making a contact print with as much
dodging and burning and tonal manipulations as possible and then
flatbed scanning the print into the computer for spotting and
digital output.

I hate the output yet, but improvements are happening.  I'll
eventually get a quadtone type of setup, but for now I'm
compromising by making duotones.

> I'm going to take that promised afternoon nap now.  Tomorrow,
> I'm going out early to do some real photography while the
> light is still magic and the coffee is kicking in.  It'll be
> B&W, of course.

A well-printed medium or large-format B&W is a thing of beauty.
I've introduced B&W darkroom printing to several people who've
only known digital and they are just amazed at the tonalities
and richness that blossem forth from the prints.

Quote of the day:  "That GRAIN looks so REAL!"

Well, duh!

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail