[OM] Re: Test-scan

Subject: [OM] Re: Test-scan
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:55:59 -0700
It's pretty hard to say without access to the slide. What do you think?
How does it compare to the slide? How is it different in ways that you
don't like? I ask the question on the assumption that you wouldn't be
asking us unless you were less than pleased.

As is, it has a quiet, low key mood. You were expecting something more
like this <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/floweraj.jpg>? The data is
there, but rather poorly "organized". Contrast adjustment so local
contrast enhancement won't blow out too many highs, LCE, curves and
sharpening,  under 2 minutes. Shadow adjustment brought out the odd
reflections or whatever in the dark area above and behind the flowers,
ick, so I selected the dark background, inverted the selection and
applied shadow adjustment to pick up the flowers in the shade a bit,
another minute or so.  Taking the scratch out might take another minute.

I know nothing about the software that came with that scanner, with
further knowledge of how it works, something better is likely possible.
I'm sure something much closer to what you want could be accomplished
with Vuescan. or one may simply fix it up in an image editor. Doesn't
look like anything is wrong with the scanner itself.

Moose