[OM] Re: freezing film

Subject: [OM] Re: freezing film
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:20:08 -0300
on 15/08/2004 11:58, Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas at cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

Hi Carlos, Winsor, Andrew and all,

> My dealer has Provia-100F again... but it's now EUR 10.50 a roll, instead
> of the 9.something I was used to :-(

EUR 10.50 each !! I'm paying them US$ 7.99 (23% VAT included), which would
be EUR 6.84 here.
No wonder why people travelling to Europe buy film before leaving. During my
reversal film quest, I went to Agfa main distributor so as to get info about
AgfaVista (after seeing GeeBee's beautiful pictures and results on this
film) and they told me they had run out of AgfaVista 100 because someone
bought all their stock before leaving.

> AFAIK, the freezer won't do any harm to the film, and may help to preserve
> it a bit longer. However, the roll should be taken out from the freezer
> quite a long time prior to use -- I think about a day or so, instead of the
> 1-2 hours from the fridge at +5 Celsius.
Yes, that's what I've read so far but never tried. I am intuitively prone to
fear what Winsor stated 'freezing might somehow damage film
because of crystaliization,'. But since there's no evidence on this, I'll
think I'll be freezing part of my stock at -20, and another small part at +5
Celsius.

on 15/08/2004 11:29, Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas at cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

>> Have you ocnsidered cleaning them?  :-)
>
> This became an obsession... until I ruined a whole roll of film with the
> shadow of a hair (from the brush) showing up in all frames :-(
I'm sorry to point this out, but it seems I was right on my previous post
regarding getting obsessed about something resulting in some unforeseeable
damage. In fact, my grandmother used to quote some popular Spanish saying on
this. Right now I'm going to clean a little dust on the prism, after
removing my new 1-10... :-)