[OM] Re: More Digital vs. Film and an apology

Subject: [OM] Re: More Digital vs. Film and an apology
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:49:26 -0400
 ***********

On 8/15/2004 at 9:10 AM Simon Worby wrote:

>Hello everyone. Sorry for the spate of e-mails! And I also realise now
>that I shouldn't have started this at this moment, because I'm off to
>Scotland for a week first thing tomorrow morning, and then down to the
>Isle of Wight, so I'm going to miss out on all the e-mails...
>
>I think it's worth me saying that I'm not anti-digital; in fact quite the
>opposite. But I do struggle to understand how a 2850x2238 image could
>survive being blown up to 24" by 18" when the resulting resolution would
>be only 120 dpi. I think I am slightly closer (in my own mind, anyway) to
>understanding the effects of this limitation.
>
>If Olympus were to bring out a full-frame digital body for OM-system
>lenses, I'd be queuing up to buy it. I appreciate that the light through
>the "old" lenses doesn't necessarily hit the pixels at the right angle
>(another limitation of digitals?) but they could at least come up with a
>list of lenses that worked well, couldn't they? And I certainly am not
>bothered about the lack of auto focus, or the lack of auto-aperture, or
>anything else -- I *want* to do it (and get it wrong!) myself. I wouldn't
>even particularly feel the need for a LCD display...

I agree with you (for the most part), but those features we don't value are the
ones that sell the camera to the masses that make it a reasonable business for
Olympus (or anyone else) to enter.  What do you figure the market for an OM-4D
is?  I doubt that given the considerable development costs, that Olympus we
come anywhere near a breakeven point, much less a small profit.

>It would such a simple camera (little more than a sensor in place of the
>film), I reckon they could easily do it for £500.
>
>If Leica can do it, why can't Olympus?

Because they charge so much more, I suppose.  Do we really know how much they
make per body?  My guess is, it's the lenses and other accessories that give
them most of the profit, but I could be wrong.

Earl