[OM] More Digital vs. Film and an apology

Subject: [OM] More Digital vs. Film and an apology
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:10:16 +0100
Hello everyone. Sorry for the spate of e-mails! And I also realise now that I
shouldn't have started this at this moment, because I'm off to Scotland for a
week first thing tomorrow morning, and then down to the Isle of Wight, so I'm
going to miss out on all the e-mails...

I think it's worth me saying that I'm not anti-digital; in fact quite the
opposite. But I do struggle to understand how a 2850x2238 image could survive
being blown up to 24" by 18" when the resulting resolution would be only 120
dpi. I think I am slightly closer (in my own mind, anyway) to understanding the
effects of this limitation.

If Olympus were to bring out a full-frame digital body for OM-system lenses,
I'd be queuing up to buy it. I appreciate that the light through the "old"
lenses doesn't necessarily hit the pixels at the right angle (another
limitation of digitals?) but they could at least come up with a list of lenses
that worked well, couldn't they? And I certainly am not bothered about the lack
of auto focus, or the lack of auto-aperture, or anything else -- I *want* to do
it (and get it wrong!) myself. I wouldn't even particularly feel the need for a
LCD display...

It would such a simple camera (little more than a sensor in place of the film),
I reckon they could easily do it for £500.

If Leica can do it, why can't Olympus?

Thanks,

Simon