[OM] Re: ( OM ) Flash at the Olympics

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) Flash at the Olympics
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:46:55 -0300

On Aug 14, 2004, at 1:21 PM, Scott Gomez wrote:

> I used to think it was pure user ignorance that led people to do this.
> I was surprised when I borrowed a friend's Canon digital P&S and found
> that it *always* turns on the silly "auto flash" function when the
> camera is powered up, apparently just in case it needs it. One has to
> manually override that function every time the camera is turned on if
> one wants to ensure there will be no flash--a procedure that's a bit
> fiddly, requires noting the state of a small icon on the display, and
> is a general PITA. It's no surprise that the average person can't be
> bothered, after all, it'll flash when you *do* need it, without one
> having to remember to turn on the flash.
>
> I assume that many P&S cameras--film or digital--do this, so I'm now a
> little more forgiving of the fact that there are many situations where
> there are lots of useless flashes going off.

The Stylus Epic does that too. However, it's at least fairly easy to
turn off, just press the flash mode button on the back twice (first
switches to red-eye reduction, 2nd switches to flash off). It
conveniently (or inconveniently depending on your point of view) resets
to the default auto flash whenever you turn off the camera by closing
the front lens cover.

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/