[OM] Re: OT dynamic range of DSLRs

Subject: [OM] Re: OT dynamic range of DSLRs
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:10:58 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>Gee, your example is lovely in itself.

Thanks! I thought all the discussion and playing showing much reduced
images, while I started it and it was for another purpose, lost sight of
the original purpose and result of the shot. The full pixel crop of one
blossom shows the subtle play of transmitted and reflected light and
shadow on the structure and texture of the petals. When I get color
management, which has somehow gone wonky, right for my printer, I think
this is going to be a spectacular print with all the blossoms and buds.

>I also find the shadow/highlight tool seems to work best to boost the
>range at the bottom end of an image that is well exposed to start with.
>What you did goes beyond that.

To give a fairer comparison, I've added a fourth panel to the samples.
It started with a more balanced RAW conversion and I applied the Shadow
tool. It makes for a more balanced looking image than the combination
image. It's a sort of blah image, too, but that's not the point. It does
a better job with the fern fronds that are blown out in the combo, but I
could have controlled that in the combo too. From the point of the
experiment, I think you can see that the colors in the background are
slightly cleaner, particularly the blue, and that contrast and tonal
differentiation are better in the combo
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/CRW_0195x4.jpg>.

It's all about learning the new tools.

Moose