[OM] Meteor photos

Subject: [OM] Meteor photos
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:38:20 -0700
I got an inquiry via my web site regarding trying to shoot meteors. I
don't know the answer, so I was hoping list members might be able to
help.

Some time ago, as many of you may remember, a list member offered a
"lightning detector" schematic (and associated printed circuit boards).
Some of us built them. It's basically a winder trigger that's activated
by IR from lightning flashes. The question I was asked was whether it
might be a viable means of triggering the camera to photograph meteor
trails. My suspicion was that it would *not* work (insufficient IR
intensity), but does anyone actually know? Assuming that it would not
work, is there a way to do the job, or is it best to simply aim near the
radiant and do long, wide-angle exposures?

I'll forward replies.

---
Scott Gomez