[OM] Re: Ludicrously precise

Subject: [OM] Re: Ludicrously precise
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:10:57 +0200

I think the people who put the smiley-face-auto function on serious cameras
also did a disservice.  (back on topic:-)
Astonishing to see in the Yahoo N*k*n D-70 forum how many people can spend
$1300 on a bit of serious gear but not understand Photography 101.

We have some workshops at our camera club to get people to turn off AF and
AE and learn what is an f-number and why it gets bigger when the aperture
gets smaller, and why 125 really means 1/125 and why it all matters...
Then they start to turn out half-good pictures with their
big-dollar-wundabricks.  Only half-good of course - it takes an OM-er to
produce the winners (I wish)!

br
jez

                      Chris Barker

                      <ftog@threeshoes         To:      olympus@xxxxxxxxxx

                      .co.uk>                  cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject: [OM] Re: Ludicrously
precise
                      olympus-owner@ml

                      .free.fr

                      11/08/2004 09:22

                      Please respond

                      to olympus

Sounds interesting to me Walt; I might have a look for that.  In  my
line of work (includes teaching mental dead reckoning as a set of
navigational procedures to youngsters who have never practised mental
arithmetic) innumeracy is a serious problem.  Gary's point about
engineers is also pretty worrying.  The plonkers who decided that kids
could use calculators in early maths exams need a good talking to ...
but then do so many educators from the 60s and 70s.

Chris