[OM] Re: Ludicrously precise

Subject: [OM] Re: Ludicrously precise
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:22:55 +0100
Sounds interesting to me Walt; I might have a look for that.  In  my
line of work (includes teaching mental dead reckoning as a set of
navigational procedures to youngsters who have never practised mental
arithmetic) innumeracy is a serious problem.  Gary's point about
engineers is also pretty worrying.  The plonkers who decided that kids
could use calculators in early maths exams need a good talking to ...
but then do so many educators from the 60s and 70s.

Chris

On 11 Aug 2004, at 4:50, Walt Wayman wrote:

> Someone did, sort of, a few years ago.  Strange as it seems, I was
> actually able to locate my copy in this incredible mess that is my
> home office.  Copyright 1988, written by John Allen Paulos, it is
> entitled *Innumeracy - Mathematical Illiteracy and its Consequences*.
> Wasn't really a big seller, not too surprisingly.
>
> Walt

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.