[OM] Re: France/Tour de France Photographs

Subject: [OM] Re: France/Tour de France Photographs
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:08:23 +0100
Den

Thanks for showing us those.  I would say that you should have left a
few of the shots in colour: cyclists are always colourful and the
photos were well enough focused for the colour not to be distracting.
But the "photojournalist" shots looked excellent in mono: the bike, the
"diaper" (nappy), the lady in yellow and the "French Window".  Those
were all very evocative of France for me.

I, too, have a 50-250 and I think it's great.  My only problem is that
it sometimes locks up my OM4, probably as a result of damage to the OM4
some years ago – an argument with a cobbled street in Trier!  It also
has a little hair on the front-but-one bit of glass; any suggestions as
to how to get to that?

Chris

On 9 Aug 2004, at 19:07, Dean Tyler wrote:

> Here are some photographs I took while in France last month.  I
> thought I
> would do something different (for me) and convert Provia slides to B&W.
> There area some pictures from the Tour for any enthusiasts.  There are
> a few
> Paris pictures, but I spared us all the Eiffel Tower pictures (there
> is one
> gargoyle shot, not great but I think it was a fairly successful use of
> fill
> flash).  All shots were taken with an OM-2n or OM-2s.  Before the
> trip, I
> purchased a 50-250mm zoom from Tom Scales and I have to say it is a
> very
> nice lens.  It is as sharp as my 200mm or 300mm.  It is slow, but
> focuses
> easily.  My only wish would be better close focusing at 50mm.  While
> viewing
> the final stage of the Tour in Paris, I was surrounded by digital SLRs.
> From viewing their pictures, I was just as successful with an OM-2n,
> MD-1/18v and the 50-250mm.  This was my first time to photograph
> bicycle
> racing.  There were going over 40 mph so it was rather difficult.
> Nonetheless, everyone loved hearing the MD-1 clicking away (except
> maybe for
> the people with video cameras who will have live with the sound for
> eternity!)
>
> I have not posted many pictures online, so any comments are
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dean
>

> http://www.pbase.com/veggie_dean/france_bw