[OM] Put some ICE on it (was cleaning negatives)

Subject: [OM] Put some ICE on it (was cleaning negatives)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 13:51:26 +0000
I have scanned a few Kodachrome slides using ICE.  Each time I did so, I
considered it a mistake, not because of anything I saw, or didn't see, but
because of this paragraph on pg. 24 of the manual that came with my Minolta
5400, which caused me to think it was just a waste of time:

"Digital ICE cannot be used with Kodak Kodachrome film or traditional
silver-halide black and white films.  Special black and white films that are
designed to be developed in a C-41 or equivalent color process, Kodak Select
Black & White 400, Kodak T400CN, or Ilford XP2 Super, can be processed with the
Digital ICE function.  These films should be scanned with the color-negative
film-type setting.  Results cannot be guarantied [sic.] with other types of
black and white film."

I'm not disputing what any of you report as your experiences using ICE with
Kodachrome, so maybe I should conduct some hands-on experiments to see if for
myself.  I do, however, agree with Moose that it sometimes seems to take a bit
of the edge off.

I will confess that I probably know far less about the subject than a lot of
you, because I do a lot less scanning than many of you seem to do.  I
occasionally read a post where someone mentions scanning a whole roll of film,
or some other ghastly quantity that the mere thought of doing makes my eyes
glaze over.  I scan only what I intend to print, send to someone via the
internet, or post to annoy list readers.  I've had the Minolta now for just
over three months, and I probably haven't scanned 30 pix yet.  So, please
consider my inexperience and be gentle.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

-------------- Original message from Chris Barker : --------------

> I agree Piers. I have many of my grandfather's slides from the 50s,
> and ICE seems to work to some extent with them.
>
> Chris
>
> On 6 Aug 2004, at 0:24, Piers Hemy wrote:
>

> > I have had some stunning success scanning pre-1960 Kodachromes *with
> > ICE* in
> > that the fungus and scratches simply vanish without obvious harm to
> > the rest
> > of the image. But there have been some frames where the use of IC has
> > introduced a colour shift which is not pleasant.
> > http://www.hemy.me.uk/Scales/Image10.jpg
> > http://www.hemy.me.uk/Scales/Image11.jpg
> >
> > On balance (and greatly to my surprise), ICE was better than nothing
> > on many
> > of the Kodachromes - and of course on non-Kodachrome, no question.
[snip]