[OM] Re: dead of Cartier-Bressson

Subject: [OM] Re: dead of Cartier-Bressson
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:43:01 -0700
HCB is holding an M3, with a collapsible 50mm Summicron.  This is the lens
he used for a long time after the M3 came out.  The external viewfinder is
one of those Leitz 35-135 "universal" finders with an adjustable mask.  It
doesn't zoom--the frames shrink as you set it for higher focal lengths.  He
might have used it for the 35mm lens, as the M3 starts at 50mm.

I also read somewhere that HCB at one point used an old VIDOM viewfinder
rather than the contemporary Imarect."  The former reversed the view
left-to-right, and for some reason HCB liked that, because the reversed
view was enough removed from reality that it aided composition.

OM content:  The later 50/1.8 Zuikos are said by some to be as good as a 50
Summicron, once stopped down one or two stops.  Jane Bown used a 50 Zuiko
for much of her portrait photography.  But not for the 1957 HCB portrait,
'cause the OM hadn't been invented yet. She used a Rollei TLR back then.

--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA