[OM] Re: cleaning negatives

Subject: [OM] Re: cleaning negatives
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 00:24:22 +0100
I have had some stunning success scanning pre-1960 Kodachromes *with ICE* in
that the fungus and scratches simply vanish without obvious harm to the rest
of the image.  But there have been some frames where the use of IC has
introduced a colour shift which is not pleasant.
http://www.hemy.me.uk/Scales/Image10.jpg
http://www.hemy.me.uk/Scales/Image11.jpg

On balance (and greatly to my surprise), ICE was better than nothing on many
of the Kodachromes - and of course on non-Kodachrome, no question.

In non-photgraphic applications, ammonia is usually remarkably effective
against mould.  Do you have a slide you could sacrifice? You could respond
"after you, old chap", but in fact the major problem with my dad's slides is
not mould, so much as liquefaction of the emulsion, as if blobs of boiling
water have landed on them.  I suspect damp and extreme cold.
http://www.hemy.me.uk/Scales/Image25.jpg

Warning - the iamges are nearly 200k each.

Piers