[OM] Re: Grain with APX100 in Rodinal?

Subject: [OM] Re: Grain with APX100 in Rodinal?
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:37:33 -0400
As I understand it, in my "senior-moment/curmugdeonly" brain, the higher
dilution results in a more "gentle" action that has advantages for acutance,
less grain clumping, etc.  There IS a balance between this and wet time...
nothing is free. Fine grain developers such as Microphen and Microdol achieved
their affect by silver solvent action.   Fine grain, yes, but reduced acutance
and perhaps reduced tonal separation.  The tradeoff was acceptable and
reasonable to some, but not to me. A chaque son gout.

In addition, Mironchuk talks about higher activity resulting in greater
contrast in the highlights.  I suppose this is the same as reduced tonal
separation.  In any event, I have always been fond of Rondinal and HC-110.
They seemed to provide me with qualities in negatives that, while sometimes
hard to describe, were superior to those of D-76, etc.

I had a similar predilection for Amidol for prints.  A PITA to work with
(especially very long times in the tray), but results that were not achievable
with Dektol and its clones.  (When I did use Dektol, it was 1:3, not the
standard 1:2.)

Earl