[OM] Re: Dumb digital question...

Subject: [OM] Re: Dumb digital question...
From: "Adam Long" <adamlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:39:00 +0100
>If that's what Gursky is using I was amazed at some of the images he
>was showing at MOMA. Some of them were 15-20 feet wide and had so much
>detail that I'd find myself with my face a couple of inches from the
>image looking at what it said on someone's T-shirt in a crowd or what
>kind of cigarettes someone was smoking. He had one that covered an
>entire soccer field and you could examine each player in the kind of
>detail that you usually only see in a closeup. That kind of work is
>fascinating to me. It's the ability to really reach out and document a
>moment in time with such fine detail that it transports the viewer in a
>way.

I saw a documentary on Gursky about 6 months ago. He was shooting on large
format exclusively - 10 x 8 I think. Each scene would be shot with between five
or ten frames as a 'joiner' and then the frames scanned and combined digitally.
Creating symmetry was very important to him; for instance one frame might be
taken to render the ceiling in the right perspective, with the better half
being copied and flipped to give a perfectly symmetrical result. The image was
built up in this way - hard work but fascinating results, definitely art I
think!

Adam