[OM] Re: Drying film (not: Dying film!)

Subject: [OM] Re: Drying film (not: Dying film!)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:34:10 -0700 (PDT)
> OK, maybe my overnight drying wasn't long enough.

My 4x5 negs are usually "dry" except for a drip hanging from the
bottom corner in about 15 minutes. I eyeball them to see if I've
got any spots developing and if so I toss them back in the
filtered water again before the calcium deposits etch into the
emulsion.  Rarely do I have to do that, though.  (I don't use
photoflo on 4x5 negs).

> To get rid of dust I boid a bit of water an hour before
> starting the
> whole procedure, so that the dust settels with the humid air.
> I also
> don't really have problems with this.

Static is the real problem. When removing the film from a
plastic reel there are two ways of doing it:  Pop the reel open
or gently pull. I don't like popping the reel open because I get
water spots all over the place--after I've worked hard at
shaking all possible water off the reel, however in dry climates
pulling the film off the reel will cause a nasty static charge
to build up and the film will act as a magnete for any airborne
dust. Usually I try removing the film from a plastic reel like
you do from a stainless steel reel--unroll. Also depends on the
film--some films will slide off the reel, others grab.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail