[OM] Re: Alone with Howard Hughes' ghost

Subject: [OM] Re: Alone with Howard Hughes' ghost
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:08:31 -0700

>Actually, Mike, if your tool box is authentic, it
>should be birch, not spruce.  The airframe was built
>of laminated birch, using a proprietary hot molding
>process called Duramold. Take a look at it and let me
>know if it looks like birch.  Maybe you can shoot a
>picture of the grain (wink).
>
>Gary

Gary, I pulled out my toolbox and took a closer look. The bottom and
inside trays are indeed spruce. The carcass is a laminate about 5/16"
thick but not a common US nor metric size. It is 5ply and the exterior
plys are of a mahogany type wood. interior ply could be birch but I
doubt it. Anyway it would require destructive analysis, not going there
:>) What you say jives with what my neighbor told me about the goose but
there were many different wood components used apart from those of the
airframe. This type of ply for example looks to me like what was
commonly used in the fitting out of boat interiors contemporary to the
goose. Maybe in your look around you could see what other wood was used?

mike