[OM] Re: Dying Film (Now OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film (Now OT)
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
> The first one sounded like your regular cheap crap your big
> corp puts out and the second was good, I would not make the
> mistake of calling it heavenly...
> I could hear each instrument individually and the dynamic
> range seemed wider were the biggest impressions.

Several possibilities:

1. The "net" version may have been mastered with MP3 compression
in mind. As such the instruments and voices will be brought up a
bit more than all of the effects and specifically the drums.
Bit-rate reduction (MP3) doesn't work well on white or pink
noise and Nirvana's CD mixes have little in vocal or
instrumental stand out. It would be pretty tough to get a good
MP3 from a commercial CD of Nirvana. (I won't bother getting
into my definition of good, except to say that I despise the
"swirling" sound that MPEG and it's variants has). This
particular version may have come from a master intended for TV
or even vinyl. Or, horror, upon horror, the second version may
have been mastered by someone who knew what they were doing!
(Mastering Engineers are like pro-tuners of automobiles--they
don't build the car, they just make the car better and rarely
deal with anything but a final mix or at most an 8 channel
mixdown)

2. The non-commercial version may have had further audio
processing performed to it.  I'm familiar enough with Nirvana's
commercial recordings to know that they desparately needed some
help. :(  Run a Real-time spectrum analysis on the music and
you'll see that hardly anything moves--it's all pegged at 100%.

3. Spacial enhancement (further examination of #2). Nirvana's
recordings are nearly 100% mono with sound placement via pan
knob. Spacial enhancement pulls some psycho-acoustic tricks on
the human ear by inserting a slight delay and/or frequency shift
on differential sounds in the left-right speakers. By doing so,
you can create a 3D soundscape which brings vocals and some
instruments forward in the mix, while pushing other sounds back
or making them wider.

> Would you be interested in looking at set of audio schematics
> and giving an unbiased opinion to me?  If you do, please,
> reply off line.  There is no hurry either, I am always away
> for the weekends.

Don't know how much help I can be.  I usually deal with
professional/commercial sound-systems.  My blaze-o-glory stereo
at home consists of a solidstate Pioneer Amp/Tuner, RadioShack
EQ/Analyzer, Technics CD-Changer, Kenwood dual-well tapedeck and
the family VCR.  Oh, and the creme-de-la-creme:  Bose speakers.
Not a stitch of "Monster-Cable" in the house--well maybe some #2
for electrical grounding.  It still rocks, though. The kids keep
telling us to turn it down.

AG-anything but country-Schnozz

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail