[OM] Re: Provia 400F

Subject: [OM] Re: Provia 400F
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:10:17 -0400
Provia 400f is much better than the original 400, especially with color
shift. My experience is that 400f is more sensitive to under or over
exposure than Provia 100f. Maybe as much as 0.7-1 stop less latitude??
depending on how capable the scanner at the tails. Shadow areas will
show the most grain. So watch the contrast range. I think the sharpness
is good enough for 8x12 but I'm not sure what your sensitivity is to
grain. My eyeball non-scientific guess based on the grain I see after
scanning is about 1.5:1, meaning if 100f grain is acceptable at 12x18,
400f would be acceptable at 8x12. Scanning higher grain film can be a
problem with some scanners, but possibly not with the Epson 2450
scanner. I've also seen halo effects around bright areas next to dark.
The 400f emulsion is probably thicker? I would certainly give 400f a
try. The 2450 may have some difficulty pulling out shadow detail. I
think you need a higher resolution scanner to see what 100f is really
capable of. Increased grain does not necessarily mean less sharpness.

Wayne - $0.02