[OM] Bad Bird Photography

Subject: [OM] Bad Bird Photography
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:23:03 +0000
I forgot that the shots using a T45 as main and a T20 for fill were on a roll
of Kodachrome, which I won't have back for another week and a half or so.  I
started shooting the birdbath to finish off a roll of Provia 100F, using only
the T45.  Not really happy with the results!  Maybe the two-flash shots will be
better.  If at first you don't succeed, etc., etc.

Nearby tripods and cameras, and even flashes, seem not to bother the birds.
When the flash goes off, they often freeze for a moment, with what I take to be
the bird expression equivalent of "What the **** was that!?" and quickly go
right back to whatever they were doing.  But I wonder if they'll accept the
presence of an umbrella reflector three or four feet away, maybe a backlight --
a feather light instead of a  hair light, I suppose.  I'll soon find out.  It's
only time and film.

See why I'm not all that happy with the one-flash stuff here:

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-713509.html

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from