[OM] Re: Bogen tripod questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Bogen tripod questions
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:29:41 -0700 (PDT)
> > One one of the legs is a white plastic clip. It has a loop
> that looks
> > useful for constraining a shutter release cord, but it also
> has two
> > other holes meant for holding something. One of the holes
> even has a
> > hex
> >   opening. What in the world is this clip for? And which way
> is up?

It's for tightening the leg segment clamps.  Manfrotto, in their
infinite wisdom designed the stationary side of the clamp to
rotate when flipping the tab to loose. Then when you retighten
the tab, it requires further rotation to get the clamp tight.

This is *THE* most idiotic engineering fault of these tripods.
Pure lunacy.

That said, the white clip does come in very handy for running
flash sync cords (and other power cords) up to the camera. This
way, if somebody were to trip over the cord, it won't knock the
camera over onto the floor.  I bring the sync cord up through
that and then form a loop around the center column lever (it is
removable and has another tool for the tripod) before plugging
into the camera. This way there is absolutely no risk of
decombombulating the x-sync connector.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail