[OM] [OT]: Way OT/ Smoking Hot CD's

Subject: [OM] [OT]: Way OT/ Smoking Hot CD's
From: Geilfuss Charles <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:33:30 -0500
Greetings All,
        Well it has much to quiet on the List today, so I will weigh in with
an OT request for information. I was on a road trip over the weekend (taking
my son to Summer camp in North Carolina) and made a peculiar observation. He
brought his collection of music CD's to listen in the car. Most are original
CD's with a few computer made copies of music CD's. After playing the
store-bought CD's they are slightly warm to the touch...but the CD copies
are almost too hot to hold! He actually dropped the first one while removing
it. Any thoughts on why. I can understand that the dye layer in the
read/write CD's may absorb more heat, but I'm a bit skeptical that the tiny
milliwatt output of the reading laser could transfer that much heat. Thanks.

Charlie