[OM] RAW files aren't just for cameras.

Subject: [OM] RAW files aren't just for cameras.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:10:48 -0700
As I just mentioned, I've been revisiting the details of Vuescan. Although I've
used it for some time and update fairly regularly, I haven't really kept up on
what has changed or been added except as I encounter it in use.

I don't know when it happened, but Vuescan Pro now does RAW files (maybe it
always did and I didn't notice? or see what it meant?). This is a pretty cool
feature. My scanner provides 36 bit color output and Vuescan can only output 24
or 48 bit RGB TIFF files, so I have to either store less than the whole
available data or a big file partly full of nothing. With RAW files, only the
actual data from the sensor is stored. Also, as with camera RAW files, one can
running the film through the scanner again. Again like better DCs, Vuescan can
output RAW and/or TIFF and/or JPEG all in one scan of the frame.

Since I've found that more than 24 bit RGB isn't useful in most of my scans, my
new workflow is to scan to RAW and 24 bit TIFF. For those images that I find
need more luminance data*, or where I just blew the scan in some way, I can
redo the TIFF output very quickly without having to dig out the film
again.

I recognize the long term electronis storage issues here, but haven't worked
out what I want to do about it yet. Of course I do keep the film.

I don't remember Vuescan coming in 2 levels, i guess that happened while I
wasn't looking either. I guess whatever I bought was right, because my updates
are the Pro version.

Moose

*Mostly where lots of Levels, Curves, Contrast, Brightness etc. adjustment is
going to really cause some gaps in the histogram.