[OM] Re: [OT] Sunpak Nocto 400 flash unit

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Sunpak Nocto 400 flash unit
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:36:09 -0500
At 05:21 PM 7/4/04, Wayne Harridge wrote:

>This is an IR flash (has a filter over the tube), purely manual, only has
>a PC cord.  It has a calculator dial, but I'm not sure how accurate it
>would be as I have no idea what the spectral output of the flash is and
>how it would match various films.

Now the "Nocto" name makes sense (nocti- is Latin prefix for night).

It's undoubtedly intended for night IR photography.  Common uses are
surveillance and for photographing nocturnal creatures that would flee if
hit with visible light flash.  I've seen diagrams of setups with IR film,
flash and motor drive on camera in small blinds.  They use a trigger of
some type to fire the camera shutter to photograph the critter[s] without
running them off.

Tried to find W Jan Markerink's home page looking for info on IR flash
photography with IR films . . . got nothing but "404" errors!  He is "Mr.
IR Photography."

>Thanks !  Yes, the flash is in very nice condition but it may be old, I'll
>check the voltage before using it with anything sensitive (I would guess
>an OM-1(n) would be ok).

OK for a while but . . .
According to John H., repeated use of high trigger voltage flashes on
bodies such as the OM-1[n] with mechanical triggering arcs the contacts and
can eventually burn them making triggering unreliable.  He posted remarks
about this to the list a few years ago.

-- John Lind