[OM] Re: ( OM ) B&W film for low contrast

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) B&W film for low contrast
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 11:56:11 -0500
At 11:15 AM 7/2/04, Brian Swale wrote:

>However, having looked at the agfa PDF file and the resolution figures they
>quote, I have some reservation about whether or not Scala 200 will go fine
>enough for me.
>
>I doubt that I will have the time available to play around with filters and
>comparing different techniques, since it is winter here and despite the great
>run of fine weather we have had I have to take account of very short days and
>often difficult weather - today being a case in point.  I am also still
>writing the
>text which takes time..
>
>What I might do is load one body with Pan F and another with Scala, and run
>the two in parallel. That's about as much covering my bases as I can
>probably do. The idea of reversal is a great plus, as is the pull processing.

Brian,

Sounds like a good plan.  Better than the one I outlined using two rolls of
Scala if "rough draft = final copy" and precludes experimentation.  In
doing that, I recommend "going for broke" with the Scala at EI 100, Pull-1
developing . . . which you hint at doing.  If you do that, ensure you mark
it **clearly** EI 100 / Pull-1.  The labs see more push than pull.

MTF Curves, Apparent Sharpness and Actual Detail:
Apparent "sharpness" visually is more a function of the MTF sustaining 100%
or better in the middle two-digit range, and sheer detail level in the
slope of fall-off in the three-digit region.  You may already know this. ;-)

BTW, I've got another roll on hand here.  Your question reminded me of its
reputation to being "pull" friendly.  Looking at its Log Exposure curves,
it appears to lengthen the toe.  I will be using it at EI 100 using the
cyan filter (B+W 470) to see if that opens up some of the contrastiness the
filter creates between certain colors.

It will also be interesting with exposures.  The B+W 470 has a 2X filter
factor.  Running it Pull-1 turns the wick down to EI 100 and the filter
effectively cranks it down again to half that.  OTOH, it's only 1/3rd stop
down from the stuff I still use very frequently . . . Kodachrome 64.  I'll
keep reminding myself of that as I shoot it.

-- John Lind