[OM] Re: B & W Film recommendation

Subject: [OM] Re: B & W Film recommendation
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:46:29 -0500
At 09:14 PM 7/2/04, Andrew asked:
>on 2004/07/02 9:48 PM, John A. Lind at jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > TMax P3200 [TMZ] shot using EI 1600 (push 1) increases its
> > latitude and tightens up its grain to that of Tri-X Pan.
>
>You mean pull 1, don't you?
>
>I got quite low contrast when I tried this - how did you develop it?
>
>Andrew

Andrew,

No, it's Push-1.  Don't feel bad, you're not the only person who has been
confused by the film name.  it wasn't until I read the data sheets
(fortunately before shooting it) that I understood what TMax P3200 and
Ilford's Delta 3200 are . . . multi-speed B/W.  The names express the EI
they're designed for, not the ISO speed rating.

Both have a nominal ISO speed rating of about 800 to 1000, (varies with
exact chemistry used) but they were designed and intended to produce
reasonable contrast when pushed by two stops to EI 3200 (Push-2).  Thus, if
you use either of them at EI 1600, it's Push-1.  It's the reason Kodak's
name has the "P" prefix on the number. (Kodak also makes an Ektachrome
P1600 . . . nominal ISO 400; used it once and found it very, very grainy.)

I don't soup anything myself.  It's sent to a pro lab in Indianapolis and
they develop and print 4x6 proofs for me.  I'm rambling now while racking
my brains to to remember their chemistry.  IIRC, it's TMax, but I'm not
positive.

Both open up on latitude and have graininess similar to Tri-X.  I happen to
prefer TMax P3200 . . . although I do NOT recommend using it in direct
daylight.

-- John Lind