[OM] Re: Film in southeast Asia

Subject: [OM] Re: Film in southeast Asia
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:36:46 +0200
I spent one month in Laos 4 years ago, and if it hasn't changed
totally, you'll be very lucky to find decent film if any at all, and
don't trust the labs there. Bangkok sounds like an option, but try to
find out (f ex via the Lonely Planet or Rough Guide public forum) if
anyone knows That One Reliable lab.

Laos is greeeen. And humid in the summer.  In july the lens often got
fogged.
You will get ocasional sunny days with clear, blue skies, but most of
the time the sky is sort of greyish. Even the Mekong is green/grey, so
if I returned to Laos I'd probably pick up some filter to enchance
greens a little.

People are fantastically friendly and often quite eager to get
photographed. They will want a copy though, so keep a notebook for
adresses.
If you don't already know someone there, it's well worth hooking up
with one of the serious guides that will approach you. You'll notice
after talking with them a while whether they're the "I fix you anything
for nothing, my friend" type, or actually know their bussiness. The
guide we hired charged $10 a day plus expenses, but boy was it worth
it. During the ten days we travelled with him, he took us way off the
beaten track, and we got to stay with nomads and hill tribes and met up
with some lovely families to stay with.
I hope travelling have not gotten to hard there now with the war going
on.

Please get your shots scanned to show them to us when you return.
Henrik