[OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 06:47:08 -0400
Wayne said:
Yes, but if the lighting has changed, such as happens when the clouds
lighten or darken quickly, then the shutter speed or aperture needs
changing. Remember I was talking about shooting in manual mode. So if
you're waiting for that slack in the breeze, and you need to check the
lighting again once in a while, its a real pain if the display has timed
out when you've already advanced the film, and have a cable release on.
About the only way I can do it is to unscrew the cable release, and then
push the shutter release ever so slightly. Otherwise it'll fire the
shutter almost every time if you try to just push slightly enough on the
outside of the cable or shutter button to turn the display back on.

There's a lot of stuff in the archives regarding Oly's recommended
procedure for taking critical photos on a tripod.  No cable release
required or recommended.  Press down on the top of the camera with one
hand while slowly pressing the shutter release with the finger tip of
the other hand.  If you're pressing downward against the tripod the
camera isn't going anywhere.

Pressing down firmly on the camera with one hand stabilizes the camera
and the flesh of the hand dampens the vibrations from mirror, aperture
mechanism and shutter.  Try discarding your cable release for some test
shots.  I haven't used a cable release in years.

Chuck Norcutt