[OM] What I didn't bargain for

Subject: [OM] What I didn't bargain for
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:56:02 +0100
I just got the bargain grade OM-4 from KEH, brought over to the UK by a
friend, and it seems to have a problem. Pressing the shutter release
does nothing until I apply gentle sideways pressure to the lever to the
right of the mirror (looking at the front of the camera) that moves the
aperture to the set value in the lens. The pressure I applied was to
the right looking from the front of the camera. There is a slight flex
in the lever and then the mechanism trips, with everything seeming to
fire as it should. Not knowing how the mechanism works, it is as if the
lever is catching on something and applying pressure frees it from
whatever it is catching on. I'm sure this is not the case, but it
describes well the symptoms. It happens on auto and manual and at
various shutter speeds. If I set the shutter to one second the shutter
timing appears to be ok once it trips.

What is strange is that KEH claim to check everything before selling
the body, and I'm pretty sure that it worked ok once when I first put
batteries in, but the stopped when I put a lens on.

Any suggestions on what I could try and if there might be a remedy?

Cosmetically it's in great shape - I was amazed that it was listed as
bargain. They really seem very conservative with their gradings.

Thanks,
James