[OM] Re: [OT] Re: Sigma SD10

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Re: Sigma SD10
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:24:52 -0700
At 03:26 AM 6/23/2004, Tim Hughes wrote:
>...    In general I can't tell any of these higher end cameras apart when
>looking at typical prints (unless WB is wrong), but I sure can see some
>photographers whose work I much prefer.  So as always, "its the
>photographer stupid" to paraphrase a presidential campaign slogan.

Let me rephrase that, in all of Sigma's printed Ads on the SD9 and SD10,
they look freakish (the giant eyeball), plasticky skin (the latest model
with no skin pores with weird colorcast), and plain ugly. Photographers
have nothing to do with it :-)

I have nothing against Sigma or Foveon per se. I don't own a DSLR and 99%
of my shots are on Provia. The proofs are on the pictures...

>       A problem for Foveon is the off the shelf post processing chips are
> organized for Bayer interpolation, not  Foveon color orthogonalization.
> This makes it tough for the whole package to be as highly integrated, low
> power,cheap and fast as a Sony,Cannon or Kodak sensor chip set
> solutions.  Foveon apparently uses an Arm processor and semi-custom
> hardware, but this lack of special hardware is probably why they don't
> save to JPEG as an option, and why the burst speed is not good.
>
>Richard, maybe if your Imagecraft ARM compiler is really efficent, you
>could trade them a copy for a free camera!

Ha ha. One of our customers for the Atmel AVR compiler was a little outfit
called Silicon Film....

As I said earlier, the bottleneck for DSLR is IO bandwidth. Custom HW buys
you faster IO throughput generally, not faster processing (generally). You
can have 20 gazillion megapixels but if you have to wait for it to write,
the game is over!!!

This is probably why I will stay with film cameras for a while yet. I have
now gotten Color Management under control. My scanned pics look very very
close to what's on the slides. So all I have to do is to make sure I have
good pictures on the slides to begin with!

use richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)