[OM] Re: Sigma SD10

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma SD10
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:01:36 -0400
Wow!  Tim gets the gold star for the day with that post!  I know who not to
piss off in a EE debating contest.

I guess we all get a bit uppity when new, supposedly revolutionary, technology
hits the market and is hyped up-the-wazoo.  It seldom delivers at its first few
iterations, and thus gets whacked down by the traditionalists, adopted by the
zealots who defend it at any cost, and adopted-and-shed by those with
more-money-than-brains searching for a panacea (when there is none).

I wanted the Foveon concept to be great, but the implementation (in the Sigma
DSLR) has been underwhelming to me.  Perhaps I wanted it to be more than it is.

In the end, the current defacto, Bayer CCD/CMOS chips, are the kings of the
hill, as they have the dollars behind them to overcome any basic, inherent
weaknesses and deliver.  And they do deliver, no matter how much anyone will
argue that much of the information is made up or interpolated.

What I want/need/will-pay-for is a camera that delivers.  Aspects of that
delivery include handling, system weight, speed, noise, color accuracy, and
workflow effeciencies.  For me, right now, the E-System is delivering on what I
need and that's the bottom-line.  If the Foveon/Sigma product was so much
better than the others, it likely would have garnered more market share.  But,
as with the Kodak 14n, they put too many caveats on the use of the cameras and
labeled them as "studio cameras" to mask their design compromises.  If you're a
one-trick photographer (or can afford multiple systems), perhaps the color,
skin tones, resolution, etc. of a more specialized camera like the Sigma,
Kodak, or to a lesser degree Fuji, justifies an expenditure.  For me, I need a
jack-of-all-trades.

Skip