[OM] Re: Another old guy digital rant OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Another old guy digital rant OT
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 23:57:24 -0700
on 6/18/04 9:23 PM, Mike at watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> How about posting an image somewhere ?  Maybe you could do a TOPE #1
>> with you reflected in the chrome.
>>
>> ...Wayne
>>
> I'll see about a photo but that's a lot of chrome to polish and i have a
> bunch of dusty crap piled on it. It is a fine looking piece of equipment
> though
>
> mike

My Mom got her first Amana in about 1975... we were the second people I knew
of to have one. It was a big Amana, had a mechanical timer and no 'variable
power' settings... that one was replaced by a 'variable power' model a
couple years later, by which time Mom (a degreed Home Economics major) was
teaching Microwave Cooking at the local community college, and working for
Amana demonstrating the microwave in fancy department store kitchen shops.
Its hard to remember that at one time the microwave was a -really- expensive
appliance, and you had to 'learn' how to use it right. Nowdays, everyone
seems to have grown up with the microwave, and almost every packaged food
comes with microwave instructions but at one time those lessons were pretty
popular. We got one of the Amana's with the touch-panel front, and that one
lasted for a few years. One thing I remember about the Amanas was that big
chrome front door is a one-piece aluminum die casting... not exactly a cheap
manufacturing design. I think you can buy a whole microwave now for less
than that door would cost...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...