[OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?

Subject: [OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:50:42 -0700 (PDT)
> Any hotel or motel options in the area?

The private campground just outside of the entrance also has
guest cabins.  Otherwise, sorry, it's pretty slim pickings.

While we stayed put for three days we got to observe the normal
traffic patterns.  Nearly everybody arrives mid-to-late
afternoon and departs in the morning before the coffee gets
cold.  We were among the 1% that actually stayed more than one
night.

It's a shame, really.  Although the "park" has minimal
attractions, the real beauty doesn't seem to reveal itself until
you've acclimated for a day or two.

Example:  On my website (Under Custom BW Lab Services) is a
photograph taken about two miles down the 4wd trail. This
photograph was taken around noon when the park is nearly
abandoned. And there's maybe a couple dozen vehicles a day that
venture this far into the trail.  We were there last August and
we never saw more than a half dozen vehicles in the
back-country.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~image66

Oh, speaking of the website, I did finally get around to
updating some of the pictures and didn't quite finish up a
couple of articles.  But anyway, the home page has a couple
sample photos and the Essays page has a new one at the bottom
from my Porcupine Mountains trip.  These ones are taken with the
M*nolta, as I've been using it for web stuff, but the serious
stuff is all on 4x5 and Velvia exposed through fine Zuikos.

AG-silvernosed zuikos that is-Schnozz

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail