[OM] Re: OT Eats, shoots and leaves

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Eats, shoots and leaves
From: Nick Wilson <toona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:43:18 +1000
I have just found this thread. I do think that the Australian in joke has
passed most by.

An Australian edition would be called 'Eats, roots, shoots and leaves'.
This is traditionally ascribed to the sexist Wombat male.

'Root' in Australia can mean the sexual act, as a verb or noun, sort of
like 'screw' I think. So the meaning is VERY different if you apply 'root'
in that way. It has to be a male Wombat because of the 'shoots' bit.

Presumably they leave straight after being fed and serviced to get to the pub.

Americans who 'root' for their team have long been a source of smiles to
Australians. I was told that XXXX is a brand of condoms there, but is a
beer in Australia. There used to be an ad (for the beer) that said 'I can
feel a XXXX coming on'. The urban myth is that Americans would stagger when
hearing it for the first time.

Canadians 'down under' might scrawl 'Wanna' above the 'ROOT' on their
shirts as 'Wanna Root?' is a good Aussie invitation for sexual congress. Or
'Rat' underneath, as a Root Rat is someone who gets a lot. Pays to advertise*.

* note the -ise.

Nick