[OM] Re: playing the epay lottery

Subject: [OM] Re: playing the epay lottery
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:27:29 -0300

> > I suppose their must be someone on list that has one of these, so, I'm
> > wondering if anyone here has the instructions, especially of how to
properly
> > interpret the red/orange numbers on the lens barrel?
> >
> > Wayne C
>
> Wayne - I think this qualifies as a Fang...
>
> (as far as I know, its a proper name and should be capitalized. I wasn't
on
> the list when Doris was here, but I've read of the legend... Wish I'd have
> few more Fang's myself!)
>
> I have one of these lenses... I paid about twice what you did just for the
> 1:1 adapter (essentially a 2x converter, but supposedly 'dedicated' for
this
> lens). You got a good deal. The red/orange numbers on the lens barrel are
> the magnification ratios and subject to film distances. I'm not sure what
> the little 1-1/4, 1-1/2, and 2 with lengthwise lines are on the left-side
> scale... maybe someone else knows. I think you'll find this lens is very
> sharp.
> --
>
> Jim Brokaw
> OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

So apparently most of the red numbers that show on the extended lens barrel
must only apply when the 1:1 adapter is in use. The 1:1.8, 1:1.6, 1:1.4,
1:1.2, 1:1 numbers give the reproduction ratios, while the in. and cm. give
the working distances in inches and meters, going from 15.0 inches to
13.9inches, or from 38 cms. to 35.3 cms. They give the reading when the
horizontal red underscore lines show from under the outer lens barrel.

When the 1:1 adapter is not attached, the white and green numbers indicating
feet and meters apply, like any other lens. These obviously would not give
the correct distance with the adapter.

The other 3 red numbers with the red vertical lines on the extended lens
barrel are a real puzzle though. The 2 would correspond to the 1:2 ratio at
the fully extended position, without the adapter, but then the
1 1/2 and 1 3/4 don't really make sense. Since there is one line (only) of
the DOF scale in red, above the right-hand number 8 (the left-hand 8 has a
white line like all the others), could these vertical lines perhaps be
somehow connected to that? Perhaps they are  somehow indicating the depth of
field working distances if working at f8 with the 1:1 adapter attached?
Wayne