[OM] Re: OT Eats, shoots and leaves

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Eats, shoots and leaves
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 06:11:29 +0100
Exactly Julian, what could be easier?

I am a bit of a boring/irritating email respondent; I now point out
solecisms and apostrophe abuse where they occur.  Vocabulary as well
sometimes: I still regret not telling a group captain (2 ranks higher
than I was at the time) that he was misusing the word "prevaricate"
when he was describing the way the German MOD was acting in the
Eurofighter programme.  He should have written "procrastinate".

Chris

On 13 Jun 2004, at 20:21, Julian Davies wrote:

> Chris, you and I are going to have to come to terms with the fact that
> about
> 90% of the English speaking world have turned into grocer(')!!s. Not
> particularly on this list, mind, where spurious apostrophes are less
> common
> than in the work Email I get. I'd feel better about it if the rules
> were
> actually difficult to understand!
>
> ESL is a very good book and well recommended.
>
> Julian
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.