[OM] super light weight tripod opinions please

Subject: [OM] super light weight tripod opinions please
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:59:31 -0700
Maybe my eyesight is getting worse, maybe my hands are getting shaky,
maybe I'm just more critical of my results. Anyway, I'm thinking of
getting a tripod to take backpacking this summer. I've never packed one
before because of the weight vs. $$ issue and instead relied on rocks,
trees and the like or just hand held. Results were acceptable but
nothing beats a tripod. Plus I could take a longer lens, get evening
shots etc.

I've been looking at the Gitzo carbon G0027 with the G0077 ballhead or
maybe the G1077. Total weight is under .5kg. I could carry that. It is
lighter than my monopod. I realize that it can't be as stable as a
bigger tripod and understand the trade off. I've found that I can get by
with bigger glass and/or less stiffness (read, cheap tripods) by sitting
on the ground with tripod legs not extended. Maybe take the
varimagnifier. So my question is, Has anyone used this tripod/head
combo? Is it worth the bucks? about $300. Other options under 1lb?

And I see the best deals on tripods come from Hong Kong ebay sellers.
Anybody use them? Are they reliable?

mike
also thinking of getting a Tamron 350 mirror to use on said tripod.
Anyone have one for sale?