[OM] Focusing stage slideway report

Subject: [OM] Focusing stage slideway report
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 07:51:59 -0400
The focusing stage slideway arrived from Oly America yesterday and is,
indeed, the correct part.  Comparing the old and new side-by-side
clearly shows the the old one was machined incorrectly and has
presumably been that way since new.

However, replacing the part has only partially corrected the tendency of
the whole stage assembly to tilt to one side if enough torque is applied
with a tall and heavy camera arrangement.  The set screws that apply the
tension adjustment apply pressure to the middle of the slideway block.
That allows the side of the dovetail groove to flex by using the set
screws as a fulcrum.  Had the set screw holes been located nearer the
bottom edge of the stage casting this flexure could not occur.

Anyhow, it's now operating better than before and as designed but the
design could have been a bit better.  If I had a drill press I'd be
tempted to relocate the two set screw holes.

Chuck Norcutt