[OM] Re: Dynamic range of films (and digits)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dynamic range of films (and digits)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 22:35:22 -0400
At 3:32 AM +0200 5/27/04, Listar wrote:
>Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:08:41 -0400
>From: BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [OM] Re: ÝDynamic range of films
>

>>I always thought the dynamic range of slide film was about 4 stops and
>>of color negative film about 5-5.5 stops. ÝAm I wrong?
>Absolutely right!!

I recall from reading film datasheets that most films had a response
(incoming light) range of 100:1 (6.6 stops), while some managed
1000:1 (10 stops).  The density range was always around 100:1, maybe
a little more, and the films with wider response ranges were less
linear.  Tri-X was the standout.

I think the big difference between film and digital sensors is that
film has a gradual cutoff at the top (highlights) and bottom
(shadows), while digital sensors tend to have abrupt cutoff at both
ends, but to be very linear in between.  The sharp cutoff is probably
why exposure is so critical, and overexposure looks bad.  In time,
the march of progress will make the linear part of the range large
enough that it will no longer matter in practice.

Joe Gwinn