[OM] Re: Dynamic range of films

Subject: [OM] Re: Dynamic range of films
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
The slide will have a greater tonal seperation than negative
film.  This is the number one thing that I notice when comparing
slides to negatives of the same subject.

Slide film may have a narrower range of captured response, but
it's spread out over a greater range of "stored bits" so to
speak.

To use a B&W analogy:  I can shoot and process a negative to N-1
development. The result is a much softer negative than if I
shoot and process it to N+1.  When printing these two negatives
I would have to use two entirely different grades of paper to
get the contrast ranges to match.  Comparing areas where you
neither have the extremes (the N+1 neg will blow out the
highlights and shadows), you will see a marked difference in
tonal seperations between the two prints.

AG-Schnozz

http://messenger.yahoo.com/