[OM] Re: Some E-1 test shots [E1]

Subject: [OM] Re: Some E-1 test shots [E1]
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:59:38 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "W Shumaker" <om4t@xxxxxxxx>

<sanp>
> It would be nice
> to be able to use a varimagnifinder with the E-1.

It is a shame for Olympus, I have used the OM varimagnifinder on 10D for low
angle macro but can't use it on E-1, I don't know why Olympus not making the
E-1 finder eyepiece like the OM. BTW, it seems there is no right angle
finder for E-1 yet.

> One problem I had with the E-1 in Single AFL mode 3 (where the AEL acts
> as a focus lock memo button) does not allow any manual tweaking of the
> focus, you get what the camera wants. Even if you have S.AF+M turned
> ON (that is single auto-focus with manual override enabled). It would be
> nice if you could press the AEL/AFL, manually tweak focus, then release
and
> hold that focus. Even if you half press and hold the shutter, tweak to
focus to
> what you want, and press AEL/AFL, the camera will override you and
re-focus.
> So to use that feature, you have to find a target that will auto-focus to
where
> you want, then press AEL. The work around, of course, is to use manual
> focus, but it sort of defeats some of the usefulness of AFL.

If I need to lock focus for a few shoots I will use MF, or use AF to roughly
set the focus and swith to MF mode for fine adjust.

> The single auto-focus + manual is great though and I use it quite a bit.
> It is particularly useful when you are in the woods with 50-200mm, as
> there are usually branches and limbs that grab focus from a subject
> behind them. I would be curious what your experience is in that situation
> with the 10D?

The C*non Ring USM lenses has the same feature, like the 17-40 and 28-135 IS
I once owned but I didn't have any long lens with ring USM so no experience
about that. BTW, I also enabled the AF+MF mode but most of the time I use MF
only especially for macro. I agree a long lens will demand the AF+MF feature
more but I have not get the 50-200 yet.

> C.H., have you ever accidentally covered the White Balance Sensor?

No, at least it won't covered by finger, didn't like the flash sensor in
N*kon CP5000, it was an unacceptable design fault.

> What if you are wearing a cap and the bill covers over the sensor?
> I guess it is something to watch for.

I seldom wear cap but it is a good point to note.

> Another problem I have with the camera, when inserting into a camera
> bag, the focus mode lever is always getting switched to continuos
> auto-focus. Since single auto-focus is my preferred mode, and is the
> center position, it gets knocked to MF or CF easily.

I didn't see this problem yet, will be more careful about that.

> Wayne
>
> PS, not bad stuffs either.

Thanks!

C.H.Ling