[OM] Re: Some E-1 test shots [E1]

Subject: [OM] Re: Some E-1 test shots [E1]
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:20:31 -0400
In the macro shots I posted, manual focus was essential and I am not
having any trouble getting sharp focus with the E-1. The only problem I
have with the 14-54mm is the working distance. It will focus quite close
but with little working distance. The smaller viewfinder area I'm getting
used to, and on occasion have found it useful. The info display is easier
to see, and the eye point relief is quite high. Useful when you are scrunched
down on the ground trying to look through the viewfinder. It would be nice
to be able to use a varimagnifinder with the E-1.

One problem I had with the E-1 in Single AFL mode 3 (where the AEL acts
as a focus lock memo button) does not allow any manual tweaking of the
focus, you get what the camera wants. Even if you have S.AF+M turned
ON (that is single auto-focus with manual override enabled). It would be
nice if you could press the AEL/AFL, manually tweak focus, then release and
hold that focus. Even if you half press and hold the shutter, tweak to focus to
what you want, and press AEL/AFL, the camera will override you and re-focus.
So to use that feature, you have to find a target that will auto-focus to where
you want, then press AEL. The work around, of course, is to use manual
focus, but it sort of defeats some of the usefulness of AFL.

The single auto-focus + manual is great though and I use it quite a bit.
It is particularly useful when you are in the woods with 50-200mm, as
there are usually branches and limbs that grab focus from a subject
behind them. I would be curious what your experience is in that situation
with the 10D?

C.H., have you ever accidentally covered the White Balance Sensor?
What if you are wearing a cap and the bill covers over the sensor?
I guess it is something to watch for.

Another problem I have with the camera, when inserting into a camera
bag, the focus mode lever is always getting switched to continuos
auto-focus. Since single auto-focus is my preferred mode, and is the
center position, it gets knocked to MF or CF easily.

Wayne

PS, not bad stuffs either.