[OM] Re: Save Kodachrome Day

Subject: [OM] Re: Save Kodachrome Day
From: BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 18:57:01 -0400
>I know this sounds insane (newbie alert), but what is there in principle that
>prevents the formation of a photographers' nonprofit organization to take over
>corporate assets that non longer generate profits?
Aside from the fact that Kodak doesn't want you competing with them, only money.

Rescuing Kodachrome would be a fools erand. If there was a demand for this
product that would enable profitability, Kodak would continue to sell it. After
all, they've never made a dime on digital, it's the profits from film that make
all their digital stuff possible.

As I know well that there are many Kodachrome users that want nothing else,
they are, by and large, enthusiastic amateurs that don't use that much film. I
have a pro friend that used to go through several bricks on a single shoot.
When he was still using film, he went, like most pros, to ProviaF. The
continual magenta shift along with Kodak's lousy processing is what did it in
for most of us.

Yes, I remember when Kodachrome was a wonderful thing. That was many years ago.
It's time to move on.

Now, APS 25 is another matter altogether.

Bill Pearce

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.