[OM] sensible course of action for getting print films into computer

Subject: [OM] sensible course of action for getting print films into computer
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:12:58 +0100 (BST)

I would like to end of with all my photos as *good* *quality* imagines in
my computer or at the very least all subsequent photos.
At the moment I use an OM3 and just take print film. When I get my print
films developed I also ask for them to be scanned and burnt onto cd.
However the quality of the scans it not good and I have no way to specify
the quality. They are quite heavily Jpeg compressed and don't come close
to the originals in terms of quality.
So as far as I see I have four courses of action open:

1. Buy a scanner and use a shops print film developing and get 7x5 prints
and scan them. (larger prints are not ecconomical for me)
2. Buy a negative scanner get the print film developed at a shop and scan
the negatives avoiding the cost of getting prints made
3. develop the film myself and use a negative scanner
4. buy a digital camera body and use my olympus and tamron lenses

I am looking for a good comprimise between quality and cost per photo. I
don't mind if the inital set up costs are quite high.

Any thoughts on the way to go?
What I don't want to do is have to give up using my om equipment.

Regards
James