[OM] Re: Photog observations at Jewel concert

Subject: [OM] Re: Photog observations at Jewel concert
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:17:00 -0700 (PDT)
> If it's a serious digi, there is usually a diopter correction
> dial for the
> eyepiece viewfinder.  My DiMAGE A1 has such a dial, and it
> works just
> fine.  As for the LCD on the camera back, well, didn't you
> need bifocals
> anyways?  ;-)

I've got my A1 setup for 2-second instant review.  I can do my
"chimping" without ever removing my eye from the viewfinder. (a
touch of the shutter release immediately cancels the review and
returns to shooting mode)

But this does point out a specific difference in working methods
between film and digital.  One of which I'm sorry to say that
I'm getting sucked into.  With film, you spend your time making
sure you get everything right BEFORE pressing the shutter
release.  With digital, you just fire away and then spend your
time seeing what needs to be fixed (and editing).

Case in point, this weekend I photographed a festival here in
"garter belt" country.  I would shoot, review, recompose, change
exposures, etc., shoot again, review, recompose, change
exposures, etc., shoot again...  Oh, and then spend the next
five minutes editing down in-camera the keepers from the obvious
flubs.  Instead of taking two or three film shots and moving on
to the next subject, I'm spending a lot more time "perfecting"
the shot.  Frankly, by the time I get to the computer selecting
and editing stage, I'm down to twice the shots as I had on film.
 And it takes a LOT longer to computer edit than it does to whip
through a stack of slides with a loupe.  For these types of
photo excursions, shooting film takes a lot less time than
digital.  Scanning doesn't take too long, provided I've
successfully identified the keepers on the lighttable.

One main issue that I run into is that digital (expecially so
with a 2/3" sensor) is much less forgiving to poor exposures
than film.  In tricky lighting conditions such as concert
photography, it isn't unreasonable for the photographer to have
to review his shots.  In these conditions, I have always
preferred a nice high-speed print film with plenty of latitude.

A technique I'm trying out is to use the digital as a "poloroid
proof" for my 4x5 (and some 35mm) photography.  If I can get the
"system" down, I'll use it end of the month up in the U.P.

Ag