[OM] Photog observations at Jewel concert

Subject: [OM] Photog observations at Jewel concert
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:36:46 -0400
I went to a Jewel concert at the Lowell Auditorium last night. She was
great. There were two photographers there, who had to leave after the
first couple of songs. She made sure they packed their gear. You can
tell Jewel has a dislike of most photographers. You'd almost think
"photographer" was a swear word. She has her share of stalkers now.

One observation I made of the two pro photogs shooting fancy digital
cameras: They were always looking away at the subject then back to
their camera displays. It seemed like a distraction and seemed like
much less time was spent actually looking through the viewfinder and
observing their subject matter. The younger photog would look through
the viewfinder about 5 seconds, then spend the next 10-20 seconds
looking at the back of the camera. Yeah, I'm sure they got a photo,
Jewel is very photogenic, but what photo did they miss? There are some
things the camera will not do for you, like know a good moment.

It seems with film cameras, you should rarely need to be looking at
your camera and their settings. Rather you can spend the time paying
attention to your subject matter. The older photog was better than the
younger one at time spent observing.

Whether one shoots digital or film, I wonder if learning film first
helps one to be a more observant photographer? For me, shooting with
the OM, I have little reason to be shifting my focus from the
subject to the camera and back to the subject. I think it would give me
a headache, particularly for these older eyeballs of mine.

Wayne - anxiously awaiting my new digital E-1 to arrive ...

PS, BTW, do they have diopter correction lenses for the LCD display on
the back of those digi-cams? Oh... you mean I need bifocals now?