[OM] Re: Using OM to achieve filmlook on video

Subject: [OM] Re: Using OM to achieve filmlook on video
From: David Cochran <cochran@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 09:36:13 +0000
Hello Cristian:

There are a few questions. The first one is what video camera are you using?
What format are you recording on? What system are you using to edit your
film?

I think that you may be compicating yourself a bit here trying to "invent" a
way to put a lens in front of a lens. You may be able to get the depth of
film lenses but you will also loose a lot of quality.
As you can see, you have already bumped into the first problem, finding a
clear focusing screen to keep the image "clean".

If your format is DV I will suggest the Canon XL1 with a P+S Technik
adapter;

http://www.urbanfox.tv/production/p14dvfilm.html

They also have adapters for the more "Pro" cameras.

http://www.pstechnik.de/pstechnik.htm

Albeit these adapters are for Arri PL or Zeiss lenses. I beleive that using
a 35mm still camera lens will also compromise the final quality of the
"moving picture".

There are software plug ins that imitate the softness of film lenses but are
way too slow for your purpose and quite expensive.

Hope this helps a little bit.

peace

David