[OM] Re: Don't ask unless you are willing to accept the answer!

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't ask unless you are willing to accept the answer!
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 13:32:16 +0200
Hi, Garry, Winsor and all.

>On May 8, 2004, at 10:03 AM, Garry Lewis wrote:
>> The results~~
>> 1. Nikkor 50mm H.C. F/2. (all individual UPS lines were seen, but
>> contrast
>> was a little flat)
>> 2 Olympus 50mm F/1.8.  ( only large lines were seen individually, but
>> contrast was the best of the three lenses)
>> 3. Minolta 50mm md F/1.8. ( only large lines were detectable, but only
>> because of tonal changes. Contrast was about the same as the Nikkor)
>>
>> a 50 year old lens beat out my Olympus that at least beat out the
>> Minolta-
>> now what?
>>
>> 1.Retest?
>> 2. CLA the Leica and buy more 50 year old lenses?
>> 3 Upgrade my Olympus 50mm lens?
>> 4. Give up?

Anothing to consider is that the Leica is a rangefinder, without the mirror
slap of the SLRs -- that could account when looking for the ultimate
resolution.

>The Oly 1.8 were variable. A late model, with the "Made in Japan" log
>on the lens ring is supposed to be quite a good lens.

I agree, the 'miJ' variant has quite a high resolving power. Seems to be a
lens optimized for resolution... at the expense of contrast.

>A late model 1.4
>with serial number over 1 million is even a bit better imagewise and is
>more robustly built.

Picture quality is somewhat subjective... I like the late 50/1.4 'flavour'
much more than the 50/1.8 miJ's. However, technically speaking the miJ wins
hands down -- especially wide open, as expected.

>The Oly 50/2.0 Macro is amazing as is considered
>to be as good or better than a Summicron.

I have never tried one of these, but I own the Zuiko 50/3.5 Macro, which at
middle apertures is supossed to be nearly as good as the F2. I find the
F3.5 to be a very fine performer -- quite contrasty. Another surprisingly
good performer (if there's *no* need for speed ;-) is the tiny S-Zuiko
35-70/3.5-4.5. But I usually don't look for the highest resolution, but a
combination of contrast & sharpness.

>Do #2 and #3.

I agree ;-)

Enjoy,